- Go to Wind Mobile Store ( Kanata, Ontario) with my Blu life One X.
- Ask if guy can test my phone to see if it works on Wind
- Guy puts test Sim in my phone
- Phone picks up Wind signal in about 20s — He says: “You’re good to go”
- He asks if I want to port my number.
- I say yes.
- He talks me into the 5gb for 35 bucks for 10 month promo. I go for it knowing i can cancel whenever since I am not on contract.
- He does magic on his computer
- Tells me it will take about an hour to phone number to port and that I’ll have a temp number ( with data) until that happens.
- I get various texts from Wind (while filling out paper work) explaining how to setup mobile app for managing bill, addons. I also get a helpful pamphlet
- I’m told it will be 25 dollars for the Sim. Kind of disappointing but everything else was so smooth I didn’t complain.
- An hour later I get a text saying my number has been ported.
Experience so far:
Reception has been fine. I work in a home office in a basement in suburban Ottawa. Data is slow but usable. For checking email, slack, web surfing it as been fine so far.
Update – Sept 14, 2016
- Speeds are great upstairs in house and in various parts of city. ~900 KB/s
- Signal switched to Wind-Away in Walmart the deeper I got into store. When I got to cash, it had flipped back to Wind.